By: Lauren Garabedian
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, N.Y.- Western New York is filled with festive activities for the fall and Halloween season. From picking pumpkins and apples to going on a hayride, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Below is a list of some places near Niagara University that loves to celebrate this season.
- The Maize, also referred as The Corn Maze by some locals, is an outdoor field event located at 3901 Niagara Falls Blvd. in Tonawanda, N.Y. It is a cash only maze within stalks of corn that you can visit for only $12. The best time to go is after it rains, and the maze can take up to 30 minutes to complete. Afterwards you can grab a cup of hot chocolate from one of the vendors and play games such as corn hole. If you forget your cash an ATM is available on site. It is open Tuesday-Thursday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Visit their website at http://www.wnymaize.com.
- The Wheatfield Pumpkin Farm is cash only and is located at 6920 Nash Road in Wheatfield, N.Y. It offers haunted hayrides every Friday and Saturday of October this year for $10. The rides start at dusk and take around 15-20 minutes. It is suggested to purchase your ticket by 8:30 p.m. to guarantee a ride. The farm also offers a corn maze, pumpkin picking and more. Visit their website at wheatfieldpumpkinfarm.com.
- The Sunflower Field is a free entry and is located at 3311 Saunders Settlement Road in Sanborn, N.Y. It is just how it sounds, a huge field of sunflowers. It also offers a vendor of food, and some local art for purchase. Visit their website at sunflowersofsanborn.com.
- Sanger Farm and Bakery is located at 852 Youngstown-Lockport Road in Youngstown, N.Y. It offers free hayrides, hiking trails and more. You can pick your own fruit and vegetables on “U-Pick Weekends” and afterwards eat at the Back Barn Bakery. You can also purchase home-made items such as apple cider, honey, jams, syrup, baked goods and more. Visit their website at sangerfarmsandbakery.com.
- Cherry Bank Farm Cider Mill is located at 5140 Townline Road in Sanborn, N.Y. It is known for their home-made apple cider since 1944. Monday-Friday they are open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday they are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Give them a call at (716)731-5749.
- If you’re not into picking your own fruit and pumpkins, you can visit Wagner’s Farm Market located at 2672 Lockport Rd. in Sanborn N.Y. After you purchase some fresh fruit, you can sit and have lunch. Wagner’s offers several home-made meals such as sandwiches, wraps, soups and salads, submarines and also ice cream. It is open Monday-Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Visit their website at wagnersfarmandmarket.com
- If you love being scared and have a passport or an enhanced driver’s license, the Nightmares Fear Factory is the place for you. It’s located on Clifton Hill, 10 minutes from the border. The Nightmare Fear Factory is located at 5631 Victoria Ave. in Niagara Falls, C.A. and is open till midnight on weekends. Admission for an adult is $13.95 canadian, and $14.95 canadian at the place. Visit their website at nightmaresfearfactory.com.
- Frankenstein’s Haunted House is also located just ten minutes over the border at 4983 Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, O.N. and is open until 2 a.m. on weekends. You will need a passport or an enhanced driver’s license to visit this spooky haunted house. Admission is $13.95 canadian for adults, and $12.95 canadian if you have your student ID. Give them a call them at (905)-357-9660.