By: Sarah Rance
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, N.Y. – Halloween is a great time of the year to dress up, socialize and have fun. It is important to know how to stay safe while celebrating this popular holiday. Here are eight tips to stay safe this Halloween:
- Know your surroundings: It is important to be aware of where you are and what surrounds you. If you know you are going to an area that you are unfamiliar with, Google it beforehand or, even better, visit it in the daytime prior to the day.
- Use the buddy system: It is a good idea to stay with at least one other person. If something or someone were to threaten your safety, you have a friend there to help you out of the situation.
- Do not leave your drink unattended: If you are of legal drinking age, it is important that you watch your drink at all times. Also, do not accept an open drink from anyone.
- Know your limit: Again, if you are old enough to drink, know how much you can handle and when to stop.
- Do not drink and drive: If you have been drinking it is crucial that you do not drive. If you are not old enough to drink, do not get into a vehicle with someone who has been drinking. Call an Uber or get a ride from a sober friend.
- Leave if you feel “sketched out”: If you go to a party and get weird vibes from the people or your surroundings it is best to leave that area. Gather up your friends and find another place to celebrate the holiday.
- Have an emergency contact: It is a good idea to have the number of Campus Safety (716-286-8111), a friend or family member. This way if you get into a sticky situation you can call someone for assistance.
- Know the people you are with: Get to know the people who will be with you while celebrating. If someone makes you uneasy, speak up. It is better to show your concern than to risk your safety.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!